Bed & Breakfast Inns, Brentwood TN
Add Your B&B |
Change your Listing
Brentwood has several historic homes, including:
The original Boxwood Hall was built in 1852 by Emily McGavock Hayes and her husband Oliver Bliss Hayes on land given to her by her father Lysander McGavock. That house burned white the couple was on their honeymoon. Another house was built, which is incorporated into this house. Elizabeth Hayes, daughter of the builders, and her husband W.W. Martin built the present house of hand-cut stone from a quarry located where the Brentwood Baptist Church now stands. There are 10 fireplaces in the house and six bedrooms. It is presently owned by Mr. and Mrs. James Fowler.
Ashlawn was built in the 1830s by Richard and Mary Ann Smith Christmas. She was the granddaughter of James Leeper of the Cumberland Settlement and a sister of the wife of the builder of Hadleywood on the adjoining plantation. The walls of handmade brick are 13 inches thick and each room is 20 by 20 feet with 13 foot ceilings. The doors are pegged and many have the original locks, which were made in London. All woodwork is yellow poplar except the downstairs hall floor which is white ash. The handrail and spindles of the three story winding staircases are cherry. The staircase, which winds gracefully to the third floor, has no visible means of support. Ashlawn has had several owners, including Montgomery Bell, a prominent TN ironmonger, who endowed the Nashville school which bears his name. The house was restored by Mr. and Mrs. Stirton Oman and remains in that family.
Brentvale was built in the 1930's when logs from two houses were combined into one house. The original log buildings dated back to the 1830s. It was the original home site of William Temple Sneed, seventh child of Brentwood pioneer James Sneed. It was built from huge logs cut on the place. William Joseph Sneed, son of the builder, served with the Confederate army in the Civil War as a physician. After the war he and a Union physician George Hubbard, whom he met during the war, were instrumental in founding Meharry Medical College and Hubbard Hospital, both well known Black medical facilities. Today Brentvale is home of Mr. and Mrs. Larry Gatlin.
More Historic Homes in Brentwood